Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My College Essay

So my college essay came up in conversation today. I always thought I did a good job on it and that it set me apart from the multitude of other college students and their applications. Anyway, enjoy:

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." -Aristotle

I know exactly what he means.

I was standing alone in a candy store.

My physics class had taken a field trip to Six Flags as part of a project based on roller coasters. My friends decided to go on a ride that my stomach could not handle, so I took a walk, planning to return in a few minutes. However, what I found on the way changed me forever.

I walked past the Wild West themed part of the amusement park and saw in the corner of my eye an open door leading to the candy store. I entered what I thought to be Heaven but would soon turn to Hell.

I stepped in and noticed that none of the lights were on and there was no one at the register. I asked out loud if anyone was there, but never received an answer. That is when the gravity of my situation hit me. I was alone in an unattended candy store.

I had dreamt of this situation. Who hasn’t? Both as a child and a seventeen year old, I prayed for this moment, knowing my entire life exactly what I would do.

And then it hit me. I would not be borrowing without asking or playing “finders-keepers,” I would be stealing. I had never stolen anything before except bases in kickball.

I stood in silence for what seemed like an eternity. I paced back and forth contemplating justification for taking candy. I paid forty dollars to enter the park, they owed me some candy. “It’s their fault they left the door open, they should have been more careful. It’s not like this place doesn’t make a huge profit. What’s a pack of gobstoppers to them anyway?” Thoughts like these ran through my mind constantly as my heart raced and my palms moistened.

I looked around one more time, almost in tears from what I was about to do. I stretched out my trembling fingers. I knew I would regret this decision for the rest of my life. I took a deep breath, grabbed the door handle, and stepped out. I took one last look back at what I had dreamt about for years, and walked back to my friends, empowerment in my veins.

1 comment:

  1. Not kidding, I was in the exact same situation on my Six Flags physics trip... Was the candy store in a giant tepee?

    I...had a less strong will than you. THEY HAD WATER BOTTLES

    Also I thought your college essay was about the perfect shower.

    ReplyDelete